[conspire] (forw) [DNG] [OT] YouTube archivism targeted

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Oct 26 20:26:23 PDT 2020

On 10/26/20 6:50 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> youtube-dl is a really cool, open source Python script for pulling down
> A/V content to local files from _not_ just YouTube but also dozens of
> other sites that host video and audio clips.  It's an essential tool
> that I use frequently, and is now reported to be under legal threat by
> Recording Industry Association of America, the record industry cartel.

I have had to use youtube-dl for work. For some reason a particular tech
talk by an employee had been recorded and only uploaded as a YouTube
video, and someone wanted to distribute audio along with the slides from
the talk within the company.  So I showed how to use youtube-dl and vlc
to download the video and extract the audio track from it. (The talk was
a work for hire, so it was already the company's copyrighted material.)

> disabled all access to the youtube-dl development repo.  (This is one of
> many reasons why nobody should have _ever_ put primary reliance on
> GitHub for essential data.)

True. No CI build should have to go outside the local network for any
source code. (Lawyers, backhoes, whatever, the build must go on.) IMHO
the CI server is not fully set up until it will work without a route to
the Internet, which generally means run a local mirror of the dependencies.