[conspire] mailgrep

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 21 02:22:44 PDT 2020

mailgrep - a teensy weensy tiny program that does something
rather useful ... that I should've coded up years ago (maybe
I did ... somewhere ... but didn't keep it?  Or just did
it as a one-off for some particular set of matching I was
looking for - I'm sure I've done that more than once).

Thus far very bare-bones basic.

The issue/challenge/problem it solves.

Let's say you have a file in mbox format.
Let's say rather than line-oriented grep, you want to extract all the
mail messages that match some particular pattern.

Well, mailgrep will do that.  Just bare bones functionality thus far.
It uses perl regular expressions (which are an extension of BRE & ERE).
Basic usage:
mailgrep RE [file ...]
And, where, can you find the program?
At least presently here: