[conspire] Because people suck (or: Now Is the Winter of Our Discount Tent)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Nov 25 11:36:43 PST 2020

> On Nov 24, 2020, at 13:32, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>
> Because people suck, what comes next is what's already starting to
> happen:
>
>  Hospitals Know What’s Coming
>  “We are on an absolutely catastrophic path,” said a COVID-19 doctor at
>  America’s best-prepared hospital.
>  [...]
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/11/americas-best-prepared-hospital-nearly-overwhelmed/617156/ <https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/11/americas-best-prepared-hospital-nearly-overwhelmed/617156/>
>
> The most-critical resource on that front is not actually ICU beds but
> rather health-care staff.  As of a week ago, 20% of hospitals nationwide
> were predicting staff shortage, and Mayo Clinic reported that 900 of
> _its_ workers had tested positive in the past two weeks.  And, again,
> the real tsunami hasn't even hit, yet.

Even more terrifying: the hospital bills from when you’re medevaced (at your expense) to an out-of-network hospital, assuming they’d even accept you. Medical evacuations start at five figures, and many of them are six.

@Cleavon_MD has a thread about How Badly Things Are Going in Arizona:

https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1330896313551085574 <https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1330896313551085574>

…and Los Angeles: https://twitter.com/skarlamangla/status/1331317433903112199 <https://twitter.com/skarlamangla/status/1331317433903112199>

Deirdre