[conspire] FileZilla isn't a file manager (but you can use it as one) (was: FTP)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 16 15:11:00 PST 2020

I wrote:

> Although that is definitely not FileZilla's targeted use mode -- thus my
> and (I believe) other's befuddlement at how you framed the issue as
> solving ftp access on your own system -- but the good news is that I can
> suggest a good solution.
> [...]
> The easy way to solve your problem is to install & enable an ssh daemon
> (server program) on the workstation (Linux or MS-Windows) where you wish
> to employ FileZilla.

Mind you, you could do much the same thing with an ftp daemon, instead.
However, I just feel it's a bit perverse to promite ftp in 2020.

Also, there are just way more secondary uses for an ssh daemon, e.g.,
it's one of the generalised ways of running a graphical program with
root authority when you're logged into your graphical desktop with
non-root user authority.  Let's say you want to run, oh, say, the GParted
graphical partitioning tool, and it's very handy to have it run as root
(so it can, y'know, overwrite disks), _but_ you're running as user
paulz.  If you are running a local ssh daemon on your workstation, you
can do:

$ ssh -Y root at localhost
# gparted &
#

(This assumes that user root has a password set.  *buntu doesn't do so
by default, kidding users into thinking they're better off with
ridiculously lax use of sudo, instead.  You can, of course, set the root
user's password, e.g., by doing 'sudo su -c passwd root'.)