[conspire] ssh, sftp, rsync over ssh, ... Re: FTP

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 16 12:39:31 PST 2020

> From: "Deirdre Saoirse Moen" <deirdre at deirdre.net>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] FTP
> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:15:28 -0800

> I honestly haven’t used straight ftp in so long I can’t even
> remember how long it’s been. I generally use rsync over ssh (from
> the command line) if I need to push files, e.g. auto-updating
> WordPress plugin directories:

Yep, ... ssh, sftp, rsync over ssh.  And yes, pretty rare these days I
use FTP.  I think mostly "these days", pretty rare that many/most sites
even still offer FTP ... though there are still certainly some, and
typically just public read-only (or read-mostly?) sites.

E.g.:
http://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/bin/rsync_host2dir
http://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/bin/rsync_src2hostdir
https://www.balug.org/~bad/bin/rsync-pull