[conspire] (forw) You're one of 26, 372, 781 people pwned in the LiveJournal data breach

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 26 16:23:03 PDT 2020

Oh noes!  The bad people found out in January 2017 one or more of the
following data items:   my e-mail address, the username ('rinolj') I
used in the past on LiveJournal, and the password I (uniquely) used on
LiveJournal (and changed anyway).

Lucky for me, the bad guys never cracked the stored user-birthday
information on LiveJournal, because then they'd know that my birthday
is February 30th, and I can't have that happen.

(Input validation:  It's a thing.)

This is all by way of a gentle reminder that you (yes, you) should find
a way to use unique-per-site authentication tokens (e.g., passwords), so
you can cease using the same ones across multiple sites.  Whatever
method (within reason) you find for doing so is probably an improvement.

According to comments on https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20426997,
LiveJournal stored passwords in a functional near-equivalent of plaintext
storage format (well, a super-weak digest method, anyway: md5 hashes).
Some undisclosed entry method permitted snagging some or all of the
password database contents, and then presumably a long password-cracking
session followed.

----- Forwarded message from Have I Been Pwned <noreply at haveibeenpwned.com> -----