[conspire] One of the reasons I read all the things

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue May 12 14:23:33 PDT 2020

…is for great throwaway lines in papers like this:

“Unwittingly, the Chinese physicians replicated an historical experience with HBOT [hyperbaric oxygen] in a near identical pulmonary viral pandemic, the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918.”

http://www.medgasres.com/preprintarticle.asp?id=282177

Now, I *had* known that hyperbaric oxygen was quite old, because it doesn’t take a lot to realize that if you can make an engine, you can make a hyperbaric chamber. It took quite a long time (until mid-1900s) to sort all the issues out, but there was indeed a 1918 experiment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_medicine#History

Deirdre