[conspire] Genuine IT question

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon May 11 13:45:06 PDT 2020

 Summary of several emails:
Just looking for basic residential needs.   I remember past discussions about rawbandwidth and how they got kicked out of some markets.  I don't need static IP address at this time, but Rick and probably several others do.

House was wired for AT&T.  They probably use the word "modem" because at one time, a modem was the box that connects their wires.  I can still remember the set of noises from the acoustically coupled modems. The technology has changed, but AT&T hasn't changed their word.

Yes, sonic does appear to be available.   Some search site listed the "obvious" choices.  Apparently they are paid by ISP's.  This alone makes me like sonic.

So after the ISP's modem|router, I would want my own router and WiFi.  I can guess that buying the most expensive unit at Central Computer or NewEgg will cost less than ongoing fees to use equipment from the ISP.
And look for WiFi that is on the OPEN WRT list.

Thank you for the info. To be continued...

 On 2020-05-10 23:10, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> Someone I know will soon be moving to a new house.  What to do about
> Internet access?  It appears that Waves, AT&T and Comcast might all be
> available.  Any comments on the first two?   Comcast's ads are so
> weird they must be targeting someone else.

Is Sonic an option at the location of the new house?  I've not heard
anything but good things and that's been my experience (in two abodes)
as well.