[conspire] I with I have $5000 for everyone who died of Wuhan-19

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri May 8 10:25:30 PDT 2020

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 03:31:56PM +0000, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> On 07May2020 06:08pm (-0400), Ruben Safir wrote:
> > The Chinese should just be happy that the Spanish Flu wasn't also named
> > for an Oriental city...
>
> Two quick points:
>
> 1: I have explained elsethread that the so-called "Spanish Flu" was a slur enabled by the fact that only Spain had a free enough press to publish about the pandemic during The Great War.  It is not only offensive, but quite simply factually incorrect.  We refer to it as the 1918 Pandemic Flu these days.
>
> 2: I would appreciate it if you would not use the imperialist category "Oriental" to refer to regions of East Asia.  I've had to bite my tongue a lot here in the UK, where the word "Asian" defaults to South or West Asia, and they seem to still use the British Empire-centric terminology.  But it's really quite offensive and you won't win over *any* Asian-American friends by using it.

I use any words I want and Oriental is a very nice word, in English

I particularly liked the way it was used by Eugene Weber, who is
silenced voice now.  He used it in the classical sense.

1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French < Latin orientālis, equivalent
to orient- “east, the east” (see orient) + -ālis -al1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEQixrBKCc