[conspire] zoonotic & contagious disease origins

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue May 5 05:26:59 PDT 2020

> From: "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] "immunity" (COVID-19, ...) Re:  Numbers racket
> Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 15:48:49 +0000 (UTC)

>  zoonotic.  I had to look up the word:
> from https://www.cdc.gov/onehealth/basics/zoonotic-diseases.html
>

> Zoonotic diseases are very common, both in the United States and
> around the world. Scientists estimate that more than 6 out of every
> 10 known infectious diseases in people can be spread from animals,
> and 3 out of every 4 new or emerging infectious diseases in people
> come from animals
>

> So there isn't much of a "barrier" between animals and humans.

Well, yes and no?  Not an expert (hey, experts, feel free to jump in!),
but as I understand it:
Yes, fair bit of "barrier"(/"firewall") - most contagious diseases don't
(or effectively don't) pass from one species to another.
On the other hand, a disease coming out of "nowhere" - just starting in
some species, without having first started in some other species, is
much much much more (highly to exceedingly) rare.
So, the net effect, is most contagious disease don't (or don't effectively)
jump from one species to another.
Yet most contagious diseases found in any species didn't originate
in that species, but came/"jumped" (zoonotic) from some other species.
Also, over time, many contagious disease mutate - especially after
having jumped species (at least if they manage to survive the jump and
hang around long enough ... or keep jumping over and over), so, often
may become distinct diseases/pathogens - but with zoonotic origins.
Mother Nature / evolution typically doesn't start from scratch.  ;-)