[conspire] Happy news

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sat May 2 16:02:36 PDT 2020

 I am guessing that a lot of conspire people would rather we quit talking about calamondin (calamansi to Rick).  Are we the only two who spend a lot of time in the garden?
I totally understand that some people don't have access to a garden or have other priorities like installing the latest distro.

Here is an activity for the rest of you.  We all know folks who are wine connoisseurs.   I encourage everyone, to really stop and taste their fruits and veggies.  Big chains like Safeway focus on stuff that looks pretty, ships well and stores well in the warehouse.   They don't care about taste.   Sprouts, TJ, farmer's markets try harder.
So next time plums, for example, are in season,  buy a couple of many varieties.  Have a casual tasting in your family.  Like Linux distros and windows managers, everyone can have a different opinion.  Some people like sweet.  Some like a balance of tart and sweet (like lemonade).  Some prefer complex flavors.   Some will put up with mediocre taste to not have seeds.     Or maybe you like one kind for eating out of hand and a different variety for baking.  It's all good.

UC Riverside has test gardens with more than 1000 varieties of citrus.  There are at least 2000 varieties of apples.

    On Friday, May 1, 2020, 12:58:11 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> The conversation caused me to pay attention to my tree.  It had one
> fruit last year and one earlier this year.  Over the course of the
> last year, I selectively thinned out the lemon which was shading its
> small neighbor.  Now the calamondin has a fair number of blossoms and
> many new shoots.

Glad to hear it.

> I hope Rick's trees are happy.

I lost one small lemon tree in a big ceramic pot, over the past year,
strictly through inattention:  There's a citrus 'dell' behind the hedge,
and I failed to look after the needs of some of the potted trees back