[conspire] (forw) Re: Correction

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 27 00:44:55 PDT 2020

I thank Paul for his courtesy.  I'll let him have the last word.

----- Forwarded message from "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org> -----

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 02:28:19 +0000 (UTC)
From: "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [conspire] Correction

 I got to thinking about exponential and geometric and what was the difference between the two.  From Wikipedia article on Exponential Growth

In the case of a discrete domain of definition with equal intervals, it is also called geometric growth or geometric decay since the function values form a geometric progression.

"The area covered by pond scum doubles every day."  To get the daily values, the geometric form works fine.  However, if one wants to compute for different times of the day, the exponential form of calculation with a non-integer exponent will be needed.

I sent this just to you. If you like, we can the issue stop here.

    On Thursday, March 26, 2020, 12:23:02 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes at gmail.com):

> Both examples are geometric sequence.

Tom, I'm not going to belabour the point.  The two expressions are
fundamentally different -- of a different order.  They are not both
geometric.  But I'm going to not pursue the matter past this point
because there's no percentage (sorry!) in it.

--
Cheers,                                "Rand Paul being patient zero for a Senate
Rick Moen                              viral outbreak is a sign of a writers' room