[conspire] Correction

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Mar 26 12:35:58 PDT 2020

 Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

> > We have a LOT of words we dont need, many originating in the ebonics

Ebonics is a racist term, fwiw.

Yes, I used to use the word. I got better.

AAVE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Vernacular_English is kind of sort of grouped with English but actually has its own grammar, so it's actually linguistically Not English (in the formal language sense), it just has a lot of overlapping words.

Kind of like Jamaican vernacular. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B03GycBNyI (yes, it's called "Latest Slang" and this recording's from 1991, but work with me here)

What's fascinating is watching someone who can do AAVE and what you and I think of as English code-switch in the middle of a conversation when talking to two different people. I don't have that kind of linguistic fluidity.

Deirdre