[conspire] Panic buying

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:09:25 PDT 2020

If you get time, catch todays "Fresh Air" on PBS.
Its entertaining.
Apparently Mel Brooks son Max writes Zombie novels and is now a regular
speaker at the War College.
For a zombie writer, he is both entertaining and seems to have his feet
grounded.

Regarding elevator operators, there was a time when we needed operators to
both calm the passengers and someone skilled to operate a
drum switch motor controller with starting windings and no automatic stops
on floors.
Later on, they remained, I presume as a combination of union and the belief
that people were still not comfortable with pushing a button and
an unseen bank of relays figured out what to do when.
Anybody remember the old days when you pushed an elevator call button and
the first thing you hears was the scream of the
rotary converter in the basement coming up to speed before the main
traction motor came on line?

Its now on a microprocessor and vfd controllers on the motors.  No fun at
all.

Regarding the uv sterilizing elevator button pusher, I would suggest
getting a patent, because in this era of pickup trucks of TP at Costco,
I think there are people out there who would line up to buy the damn thing,
or at least someone willing to pay you obscene amounts of money for the
patent.
I hope you make a f-ing FORTUNE on it, but I reserve the right to snicker
on the sidelines.

I saw the pic of the sponge holding the toothpicks for the elevator buttons.

I have a novel solution to the problem.
Some time back, in the ridiculous name of "physical phhhhitness" I got this
hare brained scheme and decided to use this technology called stairs.

Remember: Klingons fart in airlocks and elevators.

Regarding the "click bait", I dared hope that someone would be able to tell
me this was a hoax and asuage my fears.
This group is often better than Snopes.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:56 AM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Peter Knaggs (peter.knaggs at gmail.com):
>
> > There was an entertaining video from China showing how someone had placed
> > toothpicks in the elevator for patrons to use to press the buttons. I
> guess
> > it isn't a recommended approach, but it made me wonder whether carrying a
> > metal object as well as a lighter would allow pressing elevator buttons
> and
> > subsequently heating up the metal using the lighter so that the virus
> gets
> > killed. A better design might perhaps be a metal rod enclosed in a
> > ultra-violet emitting enclosure: once the rod has been used to press the
> > elevator button, it could be pulled back inside the enclosure where the
> VUC
> > would kill virus that happened to get onto it, making it suitable for
> reuse
> > without causing spread of the virus. Perhaps a silly idea, but they do
> have
> > keyboards that use a similar VUC approach to rid themselves of viruses
> > after each use.
>
> I don't want to rain on your parade of technological creativity, but
> consider the low-tech option I mentioned:  Push the elevator button with
> the tip of a ball-point pen.  Then, put the pen back in your pocket,
> point-end down.
>
> I don't know about you, but I don't go around licking or fondling the
> tips of my ball-point pens.  (People who do, your kink is OK with me,
> not to mention people who semi-consciously nibble on their pens, but
> they can always store a not-for-nibbling-or-fondling pen in the _other_
> pocket.
>
> I don't need a fancy solution, just something that works well enough.
> And, no, AFAIK it's not actually necessary to flambee the pinpoint
> object that touched the elevator button.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."