[conspire] Panic buying

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:15:16 PDT 2020

There was an entertaining video from China showing how someone had placed
toothpicks in the elevator for patrons to use to press the buttons. I guess
it isn't a recommended approach, but it made me wonder whether carrying a
metal object as well as a lighter would allow pressing elevator buttons and
subsequently heating up the metal using the lighter so that the virus gets
killed. A better design might perhaps be a metal rod enclosed in a
ultra-violet emitting enclosure: once the rod has been used to press the
elevator button, it could be pulled back inside the enclosure where the VUC
would kill virus that happened to get onto it, making it suitable for reuse
without causing spread of the virus. Perhaps a silly idea, but they do have
keyboards that use a similar VUC approach to rid themselves of viruses
after each use.