[conspire] (forw) Not quite getting it

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 21 02:26:12 PDT 2020

Further reference (published three days ago, hence not quite current
on the unfolding catastrophe NYC faces):
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-coming-coronavirus-critical-care-emergency

There's a famous puzzle:  'Algae starts growing on a pond surface.
Growth will then double the surface area covered each day, achieving
100% coverage after 30 days.  On which day will the pond be half
covered?'  The governors of NY, CT, and IL (as per below) seem likely to
give the typical (and very wrong) answer:  'day 15'.  The correct
answer: day 29.

This is a mental aberration caused by how much more common are _linear_
trend lines:  Even when you stress 'exponential growth', most people
still won't get it.  Bad planning ensues.