[conspire] Ti-i-i-ime, is on my side, yes it is

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Tue Mar 10 22:52:39 PDT 2020

 So twice a year, there is an exercise of checking clocks.
It is not uncommon for some clocks are off by a few minutes or even more.  Sometimes the clock needs a new battery.  Clocks connected to AC power might be off because of anomalies from PG&E.Also a good time to check other battery operated devices like smoke detectors.
>By the same logic, '12 AM' literally denotes twelve hours before noon, i.e., midnight.
By that logic, would '1 AM' mean one hour before noon, what non Latin speakers would call 11 AM?

I recall a court case that made the news a few years ago.  The city fathers decided to ban parking except in the morning.  A sign was posted, "No Parking 10 AM to 12 PM".    Someone parked in the afternoon and got a ticket.  He took it to court.  The judge agreed that 12PM meant Noon not midnight.

    On Sunday, March 8, 2020, 4:02:00 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

This morning, I had to manually adjust the clock on the oven, the one on
the microwave oven, the gold wall clock near the dining room, Cheryl's
clock/radio in her bedroom, and the one in her car.  I'd already done my
digital watch, last night.

No automagical updating anywhere in those things.

The expressions 'AM' and "PM', ante meridiem and post meridiem,
translate directly from the Latin to 'before noon' and 'after noon'.
So, it always amuses me when people use the expression '12 PM' to mean
noon, because as written that literally denotes twelve hours after noon,
i.e., midnight.  By the same logic, '12 AM' literally denotes twelve
hours before noon, i.e., midnight.