[conspire] mayhem, videos & rotation, ...Re: Masked Mayhiem

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 23 22:30:49 PDT 2020

> From: "Ruben Safir" <ruben at mrbrklyn.com>
> Subject: [conspire] Masked Mayhiem
> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 20:30:45 -0400

Uhm, ... maybe at *least* spell check the Subject: header?
s/Mayhiem/Mayhem/
s/stereo types/stereotypes/

> This video is largish, over 400Megs, but worth the view.
> http://www.mrbrklyn.com/videos/MVI_0271.MP4

How 'bout upload to a video sharing service (e.g. Youtube - though there
certainly are others too).
400Megs - a lot of folks will never look at nor even consider
downloading that - just on account of size.
E.g. if someone is on a slow DSL connection (or worse),
or has significant data caps (e.g. satellite, cellular, ...)
~400 MB will generally be a no-go.
Whereas, e.g. if one uploads it to YouTube, folks can not only
view it, but they don't have to download the whole thing,
and they can watch in lower resolutions (many will default to
automagically degrading video quality/resolution based on
effective bandwidth available - to continue streaming
without interruption), many services provide for playback
at higher (or lower) speeds - saving both time and bandwidth,
and many/most also show preview frames one can see depending
where one "points" to time-wise on the video, and can view
just portions, or jump forward (or back, or whatever) - again,
generally all saving bandwidth and generally making viewing
more tenable/feasible.

> It has a sister video, sideways unfortunately, of 13th Avenue.  I was

> I'd like to flip this video sideways if someone knows a tool.  Maybe it

Highly likely ffmpeg is quite capable of that, and
appears likely to be the case.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ffmpeg+%22rotate+video%22
ffmpeg is a dang capable tool ... though it's certainly not
the easiest tool to use.  Fortunately most common tasks one would
want to do, folks have already asked how to, and well answered, and
such is highly findable on The Internet.
E.g. I recently used it to pull & convert small audio clip from
a large video file.
Hmm... maybe I should do that again and put it up for a while,
"just because" ...
Here we go ...
https://archive.org/download/The_Prisoner/ThePrisoner02TheChimesOfBigBen.mp4
$ (umask 022 && cd ~/public_html/ && mkdir tmp && cd tmp && ffmpeg -i \
> /var/tmp/The_Prisoner/ThePrisoner02TheChimesOfBigBen.mp4 -vn -ss \
> 00:25:28 -t 00:00:03 curfew.wav)
http://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/tmp/curfew.wav
$ (cd / && at now + 25 days << \__EOT__
> exec >>/dev/null 2>&1
> cd ~michael/public_html/tmp && {
> find curfew.wav -type d -prune -o \( -type f -mtime +30 -exec rm \{\} \; \)
> cd
> rmdir ~michael/public_html/tmp
> }
> __EOT__
> )
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
job 53 at Sat Jul 18 22:26:00 2020
$