[conspire] (forw) Re: [Felton LUG] Re: Oh boy, this doesn't look good...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 30 11:17:40 PDT 2020

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 11:16:17 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Felton LUG <felton-lug at googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Felton LUG] Re: Oh boy, this doesn't look good...

Quoting B Reiss (bwr64x at gmail.com):

> Last time I did a full install of Ubunut-Mate, I used secure boot. It just
> kept causing issues.

I wouldn't use it on a bet, myself.

That's one of the reasons I referred to the article as clickbait:  It's
likely that only Matthew Garrett and around 5-10 other Linux users ever
bother with UEFI Secure Boot at all.[1]  (That's aside from considering
'root can do root things' making very odd sort of alleged 'security
vulnerability'.)

That doesn't prevent a cryptographically checked bootchain from being a
reasonable and valid concept per se, irrespective of how badly
implemented by MSFT and the motherboard firmware companies, in this case.

> So eventually I wiped and reinstalled with secure boot disabled. I came to
> view secure boot as a windows security feature that just doesn't work well
> for anything other than windows (assuming it actually works well with
> windows, the place I work has had endless issues because they write drivers
> for their hardware, and have to keep getting them signed by microsoft,
> apparently not a well documented process)

ISTR that that level of hassle doesn't exist when booting Linux from
UEFI Secure Boot.

BTW, should we now refer to you as Ubunut, mate?  ;->

[1] Well, aside from computers where Secure Boot cannot be disabled in
the firmware, of which there may be some, and people who for bizarre
reasons insist on dual-booting and need/want Secure Boot for MS-Windows.

----- End forwarded message -----