[conspire] Can't ping my machines

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Jul 29 07:34:26 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:26:28PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Denny Yang (yangcdenny at gmail.com):
>
> > Thanks Ruben.
> > I will try it when I get home.
>
> Sorry about not having time to get to your inquiry myself, Denny.  At
> the moment, I'm helping run the five-day World Science Fiction
> Convention (which of course has been obliged to be online this year, but
> would have otherwise been in Wellington, New Zealand).  It's been
> occupying enough of my time that I've not been able to attend to much
> else.

But his networking is a tangled birds nest and impossible, at least, for
me to debug, until he strips it down.  He is saying he can not PING.
We'll the default setting s for QEMU etc is to be not pingable.  That is
for starters.  The first thing he needs to do is establish a link is
working. He needs to kill all the networking on both machines to be a
simple route through a gateway.

ping the gateway.
ping the far machine.
ping someone in the world outside your local

Repeat on both machines.

Then if he wants VMs and docker etc. he can bring them up one at a time
and ebug them seperately.  They can and often do use namespaces to total
wipe out rational network settings.

It should look something like this when you are finished

default via 96.57.23.81 dev eth1
10.0.0.0 via 10.0.0.5 dev eth0  scope link
10.0.0.0/24 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.0.0.5
96.57.23.80/29 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 96.57.23.81

This is a server with 2 networks, a 10.0.0.0 internal and a
96.57.23.80/29 external network

You need to know the settings on your wifi router.  It is not magic. It
needs to be set according to your network.  Something is controlling
your network.  You need to know what that is.  It should be running a
DHCPD server somewhere.