[conspire] Federales in Portland?

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Jul 24 03:20:42 PDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 08:51:06PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > And the boats often didn't make it.  Columbus left 38 men in the Western
> > Hemisphere when he left.  They had no fresh water, limited food, they
> > got sick and they died a lot.
>
> It's funny you should mention the fort 'La Navidad' he had the 39 (not
> 38) men establish using the wood from the Santa Maria on the shore of
> present-day Haiti.  On his return a year later, he found the burned
> ruins of the fort.  The evidence suggests that the settlers had gotten
> pushy with the local Taino people over a gold mine and also taking Taino
> women.  The local Taino headman, Caonabo, thereupon decided that if
> there were no Spaniards, there would be no Spaniard problem.
>
> > It was a brutal world.
>
> Quite.  However, there is brutal, and then there is being a sadistic
> mass-murderer.
>
> Mr. Columbus had the distinction of (1) cutting the ears and noses off
> most of the villagers of the Lucayan people of the Bahamas (a Taino
> offshoot), because they hadn't found for Columbus enough gold, or given
> Columbus and his men entirely unrestricted access to the women.  (2)
> When the remaining Lucayans finally rebelled, Columbus hunted all of the
> warriors down and fed them to hunting dogs.  (3) He found about 500
> Lucayans still alive, chained them below decks and sold off in Spain the
> approximately 300 who survived the trip.  Another 500 were enslaved in
> place and used, among other things, as beasts of burden to carry
> Columbus's men, who hunted for sport any who escaped to the wild lands.
>
> (4) From that point forward, villagers under military control of
> Columbus's men had to produce an annual gold quota.  If they failed to
> meet the quota, their hands would be cut off and hung around their necks
> as a warning to others.  (5) Columbus remarked that Taino women between
> the ages of nine and ten were particularly suitable for use as currency.
>
> (6) Disease and starvation visited on these people over the following
> fifty years are estimated to have killed 3-5 million.
>
> (7) The flood of gold into Europe from Columbus's extortion campaign in
> the Caribbean inadvertently disturbed the gold trade coming from the
> Gold Coast in West Africa, which inadvertantly caused the traders there
> to switch from gold to slaves as the preferred product.  So, indirectly,
> Columbus was also the father of the transatlantic slave trade.  (No, he
> didn't intend this, but yes, he caused it.)
>

> So, sorry, don't try to pull 'it was a brutal world' bullshit.
>
> Some people even in brutal days were a lot more brutal than others, and
> Columbus was among the worst of his day.

That is not where I was going with that, but since we are here, most of
what you wrote here is true.  I think he used copper tokens around the
neck.

Regardless, he was not more brutal than others in his day,
unfortunately.  I got to get out but if I get a chance I can more fully
explain that.

Shabbat is coming and I am running on the clock