[conspire] Federales in Portland?

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Thu Jul 23 20:40:00 PDT 2020

>                                     And they had no engine to
>push the boat into an appropraite angle to the waves... just sales, 30
>feet high, swinging back and forth in the crows nest, with a bunch of guys
>pulling ropes to manipulate the sails with the wind hammering on them..

The "sales" would have been the result of the promotional hype.

Actually the voyage wasn't totally crazy.  Cristoforo Colombo been
on numerous voyages.  He figured out that at the latitude of the Canary Islands,
the winds usually blew from east to west and at a more northerly latitude
the winds blew from west to east. So he left Spain and sailed to the Canary
Islands.  There he took on all the provisions he could carry, which was
about enough for 6 weeks.  Obviously not the luxurious dining of modern day
cruise ships.

He headed west. If he didn't found anything after 3 weeks, he would simply
go north and ride the westerly winds back to Europe.  They were almost
to the point of turning back when they happened to find an island.

BTW, I personally know several people who have sailed 25 or 30ft boats from the US to
New Zealand.