[conspire] Federales in Portland?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Jul 22 12:40:27 PDT 2020

On 7/22/20 8:02 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
>> While I am at the computer...  A couple days ago there were people in
>> Chicago throwing stones at the police.  The rioters wanted to take
>> down a statue of Columbus.  I get it that there is a dark side about
>> the Columbus story that isn't in most history books.  BUT IMO, tearing
>> down a statue is destruction of public property and should not be
>> accepted.
>
> Certainly, it should not.  That is vandalism, and should be proseuted to
> the full extent of the law.
>
> The fact that Columbus was a sadistic mass murderer is a different matter,
> and whether to honour him ought to be up to the city of Chicago.
> (https://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day)

In Germany they put down swastikas and put up memorials to the holocaust.
Would it have been wrong if it had not been chosen democratically, by
the majority of Germans?

This kind of thing has always happened and you'd agree that after
hundreds of years people may have exhausted their alternatives if things
keeps on changing so slow.

 From my POV I'd prefer that statues of Columbo wouldn't be put down,
but well, I'm not in the position to say what's right for people that
have suffered discrimination and abuses for centuries.

So I'd say that my opinion doesn't matter and I prefer to shut up on
this particular topic and help people that have been discriminated for
centuries to have less reasons to be angry rather than pretending that
my POV has anything special.

The way you chose priorities always says something.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net