[conspire] Federales in Portland?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 20 13:55:16 PDT 2020

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
> With regard to the balence of police power between
> the Fdederal and State governments, I am not amused by the back and
> forth that people take positions upon this depending on if the issue
> folds into there political prespective.

Well, I join you in disapproving of asserting the Tenth Amendment only
when it appears to favour your own 'side' on some tactical issue of the
day.  As I hope you recognise, I try continually to be morally and
intellectually consistent.  (I'm sure I fail, sometimes, but not often
on the US Constitution.)

> Clearly the left wants federal intervention when it comes to matters
> of civil rghts enforcement, and poverty programs, but not when it
> comes to enforcing drug laws and illegal alien laws.

Civil rights enforcement involves straight-up Federal interests.  That
has been settled law for a very long time.

Whoever these 'the left' are who wish to have selective non-enforcement
of Federal drug regulation and immigration law, I do _not_ back their
position.  OTOH, in both areas, I would like to see Federal law and
policy vastly reformed (getting rid of the War on Drugs Lacking Major
Corporate Sponsorship), because I think both objectives and tactics have
been against the national interest.  You probably disagree with my views
on -that-, but that doesn't mean I want the laws ignored.  _Changed_, and
enforced.  But not ignored.

Rule of law is essential to a functioning democratic society, and works
only when there's one law applied to everyone.  And law that is crafted
to attempt the wrong objectives or in self-defeating ways chews up tax
money and messes with people's lives for no justifiable benefit.

By the way, one interesting thing about declaring the enemy is an
amorphous cause that maps to no specified person or group, like 'the
Left' or 'Antifa' is that you can beat up on abstractions without
worrying about being contradicted by observed fact.  It's a meaningless
pastime.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdCot34--pc

Nice.  Time to see that again.