[conspire] Federales in Portland?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Mon Jul 20 11:49:45 PDT 2020

On 20Jul2020 10:33am (-0400), Ruben Safir wrote:
> With regard to the balence of police power between the Fdederal and State
> governments, I am not amused by the back and forth that people take positions
> upon this depending on if the issue folds into there political prespective.
> Clearly the left wants federal intervention when it comes to matters of civil
> rghts enforcement, and poverty programs, but not when it comes to enforcing
> drug laws and illegal alien laws.  But I don't really want to argue about
> that either, although we can wingding that topic for another month.

It's the right wing that scream "states' rights!" as if it were some indelible principle, right up until they want to stop people from marching against police brutality and the states aren't using their power to stop them.  The left want human rights, and are willing to use power to limit those with an abundance of power.

This is a succinct summary of the overall problem:

	https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1284565269277360128.html