[conspire] access to network drive - denies to root?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 20 04:17:04 PDT 2020

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> :)
>
> That is very hard core and I worked largley like that for many years.
> I like to run X11 tools to help manage things, like using GVIM instead
> of VI and using a file manager to view images as I drag and drop them to
> the web server.

I do understand the attraction, so it's a valid use-case.

Where I'm coming from reflects this (trying to remember how I got here):
Early on (1980s), I realised that I was likely to be working on a lot of
different *ix machines most of which wouldn't even be mine (because I
was heading towards being a sysadmin).  Sometimes, that would be over
really slow connections.  In rare and somewhat painful cases, terminal
support might be broken, so I wouldn't be able to rely on correct
transmission of even arrow key strokes.  So, I put a premium on getting
to be productive with the things that would be present on all *ixes.

1.  Some implementation of vi.  (Might be totally not vim.)
2.  Remote terminal (in recent decades, over ssh).
3.  Bourne shell w/scripting.
4.  awk/sed and friends (e.g., cut), and...
5.  Numerous other standard tools such as find, grep, xargs, and others.

So, I got accostomed to doing as much as humanly possible with plaintext
(and the less-painful extensions such as Markdown and HTML), got
to know core vi functionality that is present in any vi clone, got
very conversant in ssh and its friends (e.g., rsync), learned file
manipulation using shell, made sure I could edit and do other things
even with broken terminal and even over terrible connections, and
basically 'de-tuned' my reliance on fancy extensions and heavy
integration among software pieces.  After this many decades, if you gave
me gvim, I'm not sure I'd see the point of it, and would use only its
core vi functions anyway.

The point is, it's not an effort to be 'hard core'.  It's an effort to
make skills usable anywhere that Unixey things are present.  Not geting
used to X11 handlers and drag'n'drop means I am not impaired if they
aren't present or would introduce unacceptable performance loss over a
slow link.

Nothing wrong with your approach.  I'm just explaining mine, and what
thinking is behind it.

> I could use other means to mount the remote system, including NFS, SMB,
> SambaDAV, and I am sure there are others...

Don't forget FiSH.
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Security/fish-protocol.html

> but ssh is already there and I add no extra service or web accessable
> threat this way, so unless I find a compelling reason otherwise, I
> contune with SSHFS

The nice thing about FiSH is that it only barely needs anything behind
just basic SSH transport, to make it work.  And unlike SSHFS, it's not
achingly, painfully slow.  See link.