[conspire] access to network drive - denies to root?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 11 12:51:08 PDT 2020

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> I have a drive mounted through sshfs

(Sorry, I don't have in front of me where you elaborated on your
use-case.)

Since you're happy with it, and it works -- great!  Just for comparison,
my own approach for needs similar to yours:

'mount my Web server to my workstation so I can edit files and write
things up quickly':  My approach is

1.  ssh to the Web server.  Launch and leave running a 'screen' session.
2.  Inside the screen session, use the Web server's /usr/bin/vi to
    edit its files locally.
3.  Detach from (and leave running) the screen session when done.
    Upon any return visit, re-attach to it.  This keeps track of
    where you were, between sessions.

'copy large numbers of image files to the server file tree':   My
approach is

scp or rsync over ssh works great for that, and for copying the other
direction of course.  (Many folks like sftp.  I got used to scp/rsync
back before sftp existed and long before it was common across ssh
implementations, so I keep using those)