[conspire] Lymphoid v. Myeloid

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Jul 1 21:59:14 PDT 2020

So I’ve been laser focused on the Immunoglobulin M and G (and A and NK) issue and YouTube finally suggested a video I’ll get to in a minute.

Essentially, I was stuck on the Lymphoid side of the immune system family tree because that’s where my training is, and that’s where most of the stuff with viruses happens. T-cells for helper and killer cells in particular, B-cells for immunoglobulin, NK-cells.

The other side of the house, myeloid, well, that’s a bunch of stuff that includes the weirdest of all the blood cells, the red blood cells (the only non-nucleated “cells” in your body as they are highly optimized for oxygen transport), the macrophages that clean up all the debris, etc. Generally, except for cleaning up the wreckage, the myeloid cells don’t directly deal with live virus (unless the virus infects that cell type, of course).

So here’s a diagram of the family tree:

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-myeloid-and-vs-lymphoid-cells/ <https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-myeloid-and-vs-lymphoid-cells/>

I’d missed this piece in Forbes, but basically what it’s saying is a lot of people are testing negative for covid 19 because they aren’t fighting covid with the lymphoid side (as would normally happen) but the myeloid side that’s overexpressed. So the antibodies aren’t being made, so the immune system is doing an end run and using the beer bottles in the recycling instead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/05/27/a-nasty-trick-in-the-covid-repertoire/#6781d47269e6 <https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/05/27/a-nasty-trick-in-the-covid-repertoire/#6781d47269e6>

"A recent study shows that the orf3b protein of SARS-2 does the same thing, only better. The protein made by orf3b in most strains of SARS-2 is shorter and more potent in tamping down the interferon response than that of SARS-1. That may be one of the reasons SARS-2 can be transmitted more efficiently than SARS-1. A weaker antibody response means than more virus particles are made.”

But the myeloid cells also release cytokines. And, you know, cytokine storms are a thing with covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuKAg52mz4s <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuKAg52mz4s>

Deirdre