[conspire] find videos annoying with the amount of time it takes vs. reading (was: Update for BALE)

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Jan 6 23:13:23 PST 2020

On Jan 6, 2020, at 19:56, Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>> From: "Deirdre Saoirse Moen" <deirdre at deirdre.net>
>> Subject: Re: [conspire] Update for BALE
>> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 12:32:36 -0800
>
>> helped. For me, while I find videos annoying with the amount of time it takes vs. reading, I retain the information better.
>
> Doesn't totally "fix" that issue, but I do like how some video
> platforms (e.g. YouTube), allow one to change the playback
> speed - without altering the audio pitch.  So, e.g. on
> YouTube, can play the video back at up to 2x original speed.

Yes, I do manipulate playback speed a lot, but I also watch a lot of videos where there’s…just a lot of air.

> I wish all such video "training" - and the like - platforms, had
> ability to adjust speed like that ... and better yet to much more
> than 2x.  (If you ever watched a blind user suck down text-to-speech,
> can be quite impressive the rate at which the audio can be listened to
> and very well comprehended).

I have a blind friend who works in web accessibility, and she really showed me how quickly she could read. I love audio, but I can’t handle that much speech that quickly.

> […]
>
> I also like when videos also have full transcripts.  Some can be quite
> poor on that though, if they're automatically machine generated (though
> can still sometimes be useful to search, though - such as locating in
> what video, or about where in the video).

Full transcripts also help when it’s in a foreign language. I actually watch quite a few non-English videos. Like YT’s smart enough to know I’m a big fan of Russian Calligraffiti artist ПОКРАСА ЛАМПАСА (Pokras Lampas), but it doesn’t know enough to know I can’t understand him talking about his art:

https://youtu.be/PUdHnMEWx_8?t=193 <https://youtu.be/PUdHnMEWx_8?t=193>

but this one has no words, so it’s fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVgpwLiuKA <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVgpwLiuKA>

and another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgcQ7u4zo6U <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgcQ7u4zo6U>

Deirdre