[conspire] Fraudulent e-mail addresses (was: ...Straffic data breach)

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Thu Feb 27 19:02:37 PST 2020

 For Barbara Corcoran, $388,700 is probably pocket change.

Meanwhile, at my house the my wife answered a phone call reportedly from my bank asking about some transaction.  She gave me a note with the bank's phone number.I set the note aside and looked up the bank's phone number.  It took some time to to finally get a person. Then I had to answer a set of security questions.  Now I was sure I was talking to the bank and they were sure I was who I claimed to be.  Then my call was transferred a couple more times and lastly to the bank's fraud department. Yes they had called because I had made some unusual recent transactions.  This took half an hour of my time, but I thanked them for being diligent.

    On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 5:56:15 PM PST, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 I wrote:

> In the case you cited, the victim is getting excused rather too easily
> for extremely carelessness.

Citing lead pull-quotation from the _People_ magazine article:

  "There was no reason to be suspicious as I invest in a lot of real
  estate", Barbara Corcoran tells PEOPLE.

Non-sequitur -- and here we have someone who refuses to learn from an
expensive mistake.  Detailed excerpt:

  "I lost the $388,700 as a result of a fake email chain sent to my
  company," Corcoran says. "It was an invoice supposedly sent by my
  assistant to my bookkeeper approving the payment for a real estate
  renovation. There was no reason to be suspicious as I invest in a lot of
  real estate."  The bookkeeper continued to communicate with whom
  she thought was Corcoran’s assistant and went ahead with the wire
  payment on Tuesday.

Er...  Barbara Corcoran had signing authority without co-signing to
send out 1/2 million dollar _wire payments_?  Wire payments, which
are infamous worldwide as an instrument for financial fraud because,
once money is sent, you're basically never going to get it back?

Normally, bookkeepers in business need higher-ups' signoff on anything
bigger than about a ream of paper and a box of paperclips at Office
Depot.

$388,700 down the tubes, and Ms. Corcoran apparently learned nothing.
Wow.