[conspire] 21st century web platforms

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Feb 15 22:20:06 PST 2020

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 09:35:54AM +0000, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> On 14Feb2020 11:04am (-0500), Ruben Safir wrote:
> > > 1: That the old ALGOL-related iteration structures weren't cutting it in
> > > the 21st century.  Whether we wanted cool message-passing tricks from
> > > Smalltalk or sequence comprehension tricks from Haskell, we just were
> > > getting tired of wrapping *everything* in 1960s-style loops.
> [...]
> > I don't think you can really get rid of ALGOL any more than you can get
> > rid of 4 wheeled automobiles.  It is here to stay.  You can hide it with
> > message passing systems but is just hiding it, and message passing
> > systems tend to be brutish and insecure.  I'm not opposed them, but they
> > are hardly paneceas.  Security troubles with objective-C are built into
> > the language becuase of string code injections.  In fact, all these
> > systems are vulnerable to code injuction to DCOM, et al systems.
>
> No one is talking about getting *rid* of loops.  But often it is clearer and more efficient to express operations as sets, or as combinations of filters on a sequence.
>
> I'm not sure what sort of insecurity you describe with message-passing.  Are you using the phrase in the sense in which Smalltalk and Ruby use it?

it became apartant that thr objective-C platform for ios phones could
never be secured  because evrery object in the platform could be easily
accessed for core methods through simple mesaaging from any extetnal
source.

that is the inherent problem with dcom messaging and ole

you cant control the messages objects recieve and objects are loaded
with both documented and undocumented methods waoting for triggers

at one timed, i heard a wonderful and detailed podcast on this subject,
about 2014? but i cant find it.  it was really detailed snd very
thorough, but i cant find it.  but this was part of the reason for
replacing objectiveC   you just cant secure it.