[conspire] 21st century web platforms

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Fri Feb 14 08:04:05 PST 2020

Nick, I was cruising the archive and read your response here and I was
hoping that you can expand on what you meant here
Ruby's a nice language! I think it helped break a lot of ice that Python
later sailed through afterward, in terms of showing:

1: That the old ALGOL-related iteration structures weren't cutting it in
the 21st century.  Whether we wanted cool message-passing tricks from
Smalltalk or sequence comprehension tricks from Haskell, we just were
getting tired of wrapping *everything* in 1960s-style loops.
2: That a novel mapping of MVC-style thinking into a
template/dispatch/ORM/action model of Web development was a pretty good
way forward.
3: That the world was actually ready to start adopting dynamic languages
for serious stuff again.
I don't think you can really get rid of ALGOL any more than you can get
rid of 4 wheeled automobiles.  It is here to stay.  You can hide it with
message passing systems but is just hiding it, and message passing
systems tend to be brutish and insecure.  I'm not opposed them, but they
are hardly paneceas.  Security troubles with objective-C are built into
the language becuase of string code injections.  In fact, all these
systems are vulnerable to code injuction to DCOM, et al systems.

I would also like to hear more about template/dispatch/ORM/action model.
 I also had a question about

I am also curious about FLASK.  There is no Apache with flask?  I find
the explanation of FLASk a bit humerous.

<<Micro simply means that Flask is small. It doesn’t come with a
particular set of tools or libraries that other popular Python
frameworks like Django or Pyramid provide. Flask is designed with
extensibility in mind. It only provides a core set of features and
relies on extensions to do the rest. Right out of the box Flask doesn’t
provide any support for accessing the database, form validation,
authentication, file uploads and so on. To add these functions to your
application you have to use extensions. Because you can choose the
extensions you want, you end up with lean stack without any extra cruft.>>

Umm- that cruft makes your applicaitons work and this sounds stikingly
similar to the original Apache concept.  I find the differences between
libraries and extensibility as been a false flag.  But maybe I don't
understand it.

What is C?

main(argv, argc){

return 1;