[conspire] When to get a covid test, brains, and a weird case, and a cardiology vs. immunology joke

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Aug 9 12:52:02 PDT 2020

On Aug 9, 2020, at 03:42, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> SARS-CoV-2 is known to be able to infect and in some cases kill
> non-human animals, so there is significant chance of it ending up having
> a reservoir presence in animals having repeated contact with humans --
> starting of course with bats and perhaps pangolins.  The disease is
> known to have infected and killed some big cats at the Bronx Zoo, for
> example, and also to have infected a rather large number of commercial
> mink farms in the Netherlands.  Morever, non-human animals at one or
> both of those places (can't remember which) are known to have then
> passed the infection back to humans.

It was the minks that passed it back. Not that it didn’t happen in other cases, just that that’s one I specifically remember. Also, at the time, I was like, “When was the last time anyone wore mink coats?” I was *genuinely* perplexed about why there were so, so many mink farms in the Netherlands in 2020. I said to Rick, “That’s so last century.”

Even though I’m a woman.

You see, I don’t wear *false eyelashes.* Yep, that’s what the minks were being raised for. Overwhelmingly, false eyelashes on the market are…mink. Since the outbreak, Sephora has said that they will stop carrying animal lashes. (Lots of women wear either false lashes *or* mascara, and some wear both; I’ve always preferred mascara because I can get it in navy blue.)

Topic shift: I said there were vaccines *or* antibodies. Turns out there’s another thing I didn’t know about that’s not quite either: designer peptides.

http://www.ligandal.com/our-science.html

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.06.238915v1.full.pdf

Anyhow, just a page of an approach I hadn’t known about, no idea about efficacy. It does happen to be local (San Francisco), however.

Deirdre