[conspire] What NYC covid was like from a medical residency

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Aug 5 12:19:14 PDT 2020

I would guess this person worked at a county or city hospital, as this is the kind of tale I’ve heard from Detroit as well. The videos I’ve seen from Detroit were later removed by their posters, but talked about staffing issues in ICUs where nurses were asked to work on so many patients that they were not able to provide safe care, and were threatened with complaints to the nursing board if they complained. If they were fired/quit, that would have left 17 patients per ICU nurse in one video I saw (understandable why it was deleted). Standard of care in California is TWO. That, not the fact that the patients were African-American, is no doubt a huge factor in why so many died.

With that in mind….

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/i32cwb/udr_dre_details_the_horrific_situation_and/

Someone in the original thread said that, as of several weeks ago, they were out of IV sedation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Residency/comments/i2pqqf/my_gfs_np_friend_told_me_covid_hasnt_been_that/g09wih9/

More interesting was how the issue was perceived on the ground in China (from a foreigner working in healthcare in China) than in the US:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Residency/comments/i2pqqf/my_gfs_np_friend_told_me_covid_hasnt_been_that/g0acw5o/

Note: this isn’t my friend, who works in Guangzhou, which is in Southern China. I would never ask if she’d seen any Covid patients, because when I talk to her, she’s there to game and get away from work mentally. If she wants to talk about work, that’s fine. What she *did* talk about was how her area prepped in mid-Jan to screen people for fevers on street corners, suggest people limit movement and stock up on food in case lockdown was necessary, and how they moved her family close to the hospital (and other hospital workers same deal) so they would be available during the crisis.

We just were never that order of prepared.

Not to mention we never physically quarantined *every* positive case in a hospital (built on the spot), which several countries, including China, did. One of the benefits of that was they were able to get some great longitudinal studies that Americans just…can’t.

Deirdre