[conspire] Facial Recongition - No More Tickets

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 3 20:46:40 PDT 2020

Yeah, tickets can be scanned without touch.
Bar code, QR code, etc., can be printed, or displayed
on smartphone.  No need for ticket contact/transfer,
and no need for facial recognition to process
ticketing.
And touchless ticket processing technology is already
widely used, comparatively cheap, and comparatively
less error prone than facial recognition.
Not to mention privacy concerns.

So ... a least in most contexts ... if someone is
pushing to go from tickets to facial recognition as
a form of "ticketing", might they have some other
agenda?  I mean maybe one could make a convenience
argument ... but really?  Wouldn't be that
much more convenient - especially also given privacy
and false negative/positive issues.  Ooooh, and lets
not forget masks.  Facial recognition - sure, let's
just have everyone pull down their masks to use that
around a crowded entry point ... what could go wrong?

So ... at least in this context, facial recognition
sounds like a solution in search of a problem.