[conspire] English language has ridiculously inconsistent spelling patterns (British/Canadian/American)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 29 21:10:21 PDT 2020

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] Numbers racket
> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 19:25:04 -0700

> vowels wrong, since fanously the English language has ridiculously
> inconsistent spelling patterns.

Ah, sometimes I amuse myself with ...
well, in English, there's American spellings, British spellings, ...
and ... Canadian spellings (and probably some more, but regardless).

So ... sometimes I like to pick out and see what Canadian words have
spellings that are uniquely Canadian, matching neither the British nor
American spellings.  And yes, there certainly are some.
$ cd /usr/share/dict
$ (suffix=-large; cat american-english"$suffix"
american-english"$suffix" british-english"$suffix"
british-english"$suffix" canadian-english"$suffix" | sort | uniq -u)
$ grep '^colou\{0,1\}ri[sz]e$' *-english-large | awk -F:
'{printf("%-18s %s\n",$2,$1);}'
colorize           american-english-large
colourise          british-english-large
colourize          canadian-english-large
$ grep '^ana\{0,1\}estheti[sz]ation$' *-english-large | awk -F:
'{printf("%-18s %s\n",$2,$1);}'
anesthetization    american-english-large
anaesthetisation   british-english-large
anaesthetization   canadian-english-large
$

And, yes, they do have Canadian English dictionaries - and for reason(s).