[conspire] Let's look at fluview

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Tue Apr 28 16:02:04 PDT 2020

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> Almost as if one cue, our department is in the news today
>
> https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-worked-the-coronavirus-front-line-and-i-say-its-time-to-start-opening-up/
>
> Ive worked the coronavirus front line  and I say its time to start
> opening up

With respect, just because y'all were hit hardest and one of the first doesn't mean that you were hit *last*. There are places that haven't been hit at all yet, or at least not apparently.

Because until there are zero active global cases or a working vaccine with a real vaccination plan, it's not safe to open up. I am *truly* hopeful we'll have a proper vaccine soon. I have just seen bad science happen on this before, some of it foisted off on the third world. Unfortunately.

On fishing, I agree with you, and one place I used to enjoy a lot was the calm spot near the covered bridge two doors down from where I lived on an unpaved road in Vermont. (Most roads in Vermont are unpaved simply and only because it's a total PITA to pave them and actually more costly and unsafe to do so than to leave them unpaved and level them well.)

Here's a view of the area we used to take a canoe and fish:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.956199,-72.3930312,3a,75y,223.29h,64.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9b0CjmGFy8f6RBDeHOzKng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Place we used to live (this was not the place north of the Canadian border, which has been torn down):

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9591115,-72.389837,3a,75y,310.04h,80.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgZkSKQOCfcHzdE27EMrcRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

My old wood shop:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9592318,-72.389783,3a,75y,142.06h,79.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd2ByTLfBoU_l7_VA2_sc7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

They seem to have removed the old corrugated steel siding, which is a shame because bats used to nest in it during the summer. I figured that out when they used to chew me out when I tried to use power tools during the day. In winter, they'd actually migrate further south, so it wasn't a problem.

If you look at a vertical view, you'll see the land behind is dark green, aka swamp. Lots of beavers and moose (moose are swamp creatures, which I had not known). We'd get a lot of them walking through our property because the power line right-of-way went through.

So, this virtual fishing visit hopefully helped a wee bit in this stir crazy time.

Deirdre