[conspire] Let's look at fluview

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Apr 28 04:30:47 PDT 2020

On 4/27/20 7:09 PM, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> ending April 11, and how different that is from prior flu seasons, even the really bad one two years ago.

1968 was the last really bad one as far as I know.  I've been doing this
for work for the last month, and I sort of petered out on this at this
point.  I pretty much wrote the points I wanted to make on
brooklyn-living and nothing that this virus has done has suprised me or
been off my back of the envelope predictions, even before I was sort of
drafted into work.  This virus will reach, or actually already has
reached, saturation.  They will not get a vaccination in time because
they don't care.  If they did they would be running thousands of tests a
week, not a dozen.  Drug trials are riddled with cronie politics, as it
always is, and we see obvious inappropraite actions in this regard.  The
public messaging is constant hysteria.  Even in the worst case, this
virus isn't, or shouldn't be, a civilization destroying and yet here we
are...

When at work, I've noticed two kinds of attitude.  Hysterical crazy
attiitudes by people who can't live without a cellphone attached to
their hips, hanging on every word of every politiician, and that had
never seen a real epidemic, and those of us who lived and worked through
the early HIV epidmenic, who are much less excited.  Most of us are old
at this point.

You can bet your tuchas if this epidemeic actually was having people
drop dead in the streets, like Anthrax, we wouldn't be having long press
conferences, and every bodega in the city open selling potato chips,
liquor and cigerettes.  They would be isolating disease active disease
pockets with a complete shutdown using real maps and real cops, without
notice or warning.  As for when this will be over, I expect in about a
year and a  half, which sort of makes no sense because I think we are
saturated, but the lock down is not going to make this virus just go
away.  It will likely mutate twice, and everything we do seems to be
begging to make it more virulent.

One thing I am certain of, the idea that if we all stayed locked up for
the next year and the virus will just go away, that is not happening.
You better sacrifice your lambs and put blood on you door post.  You
will be luckier.

If your right, however, Deidre, we are all going to die anyway.  It is
not what viruses that have high R0 values generally do, since it is self
defeating.  But without immunity, everybody dies.

If that is the case, I want to see Hanmilton this week and catch a
really big fish.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.brooklyn-living.com