[conspire] Numbers racket

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Apr 27 20:33:02 PDT 2020

On 4/27/20 10:25 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> To use a less rural metaphor, if I have a dime, and I then trade my dime
> with your dime, I'm not bothered by the substitution, because even
> though one of our pockets might be grungier than the other, at the end
> of the day dimes are fungible.
>
> Deirdre would have won the bet, but my objection was that the meaning of
> 'fungible' doesn't work in your sentence.  You probably meant something
> like 'debatable'.

I have never looked this word up and I only know it from my ear, and
from the context.  I always thought it was like fudging something, which
co-locally means like your making fudge, without a recipe.  :)  The
accountant fudged the numbers and made the business seem profitable even
when it was actually losing money.

What do I know.  I know nothing.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.brooklyn-living.com