[conspire] (forw) Re: Numbers racket

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 25 19:00:22 PDT 2020

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Monday  3/16  Health officers (and dah Mayor) hold press
> conferences.
>
> Tuesday 3/17  Saint Patrick's Day with all the bars closed.

Yeah, I'd forgotten that St. Patrick's Day was immediately _after_ the
order came out.  It wasn't therefore just the bars that were closed (by
then) but also all sit-down restaurant service, etc.[1]

What I was thinking of was the Sunday just _before_ St. Patrick's Day:
The City of San Francisco had pleaded with various private businesses to
be closed, and had cancelled the parade permit -- but hadn't _ordered_
any closures at that point.

> Later in the week, Gov Newsom joins the parade.  BTW.   Mayor Breed is
> expected to be on 60 minutes this Sunday.  Somehow an elected official
> is taken by the news media as having more importance than the white
> coats who understand public health.

Yes,  I didn't want to rag on Mayor Breed overmuch, but her fake-out
resulted not just in fawning attention from _The Atlantic_ but also in
quite a number of high-profile interviews by the national press (in
which I include television news), all of the interviewers (on a sample
of several, anyway) making the mistake of thinking she was one of the
key people behind the March 16th order.

If you watch those interviews, you notice that Mayor Breed doesn't
actually have anything to say, IMO.  Yes, they really ought to be
interviewing the likes of Dr. Sara Cody, not Mayor Not Appearing
in this Film.  But hey, she gives good copy.

[1] Not counting a limited number of scofflaw businesses, e.g., a
bar in San Carlos was flagrantly serving both drinks and bar food to
dine-in customers in the days following the order.  (Asshats gotta
asshat.)