[conspire] More relevant to the origins of this list.

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo ivan at webthatworks.it
Sat Apr 25 15:31:53 PDT 2020

On 4/25/20 11:06 PM, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2020-04-25 12:43, Rick Moen wrote:

>> The Debian 10 default init system is, as mentioned, systemd, but
>> (if desired) you can step sideways to a different init, as I've
>> detailed at http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/openrc-conversion.html
>> (Footnote #3 lists other Debian-packaged init systems.)
>
> Is systemd really so bad that it's worth changing Debian's default?
> What's to be gained?

I'm lazy and I'm not a sysadmin so I don't find myself tweaking that
much with init.
While the transition wasn't smooth and I've found myself unable to boot
several times in the past, I havent'had any problem in years.

"Detractors" say it is too complicated, it takes care of things that
should be delegated to other subsystems, it is too intertwingled and its
original author is "opinionated".

Praisers say it is powerful, faster, has better logging and analysis
tools, simpler configuration, it is more suited for embedded systems.

For me it just work and if I don't have good reason to do otherwise I
prefer to stick with popular software that tends to get more attention
from developers, it has better documentation and it's more tested.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net