[conspire] GOT a sample of the 1918 flu? Off Permafrost corpses? Not exactly. (documentary ...)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 25 01:57:42 PDT 2020

Saw good documentary on this several weeks or more ago.
Wasn't able to easily find it again (at least not where I'd
seen it before), did finally track it down in some spots.
We Heard the Bells The Influenza of 1918
Anyway, seem to have located copies of it here:
~56:49
https://youtu.be/XbEefT_M6xY
https://youtu.be/l0juBE-ra3A

"
To order a DVD of
this program, go to
www.flu.gov/WeHeardtheBells
"
www.flu.gov/WeHeardtheBells just redirects to https://www.cdc.gov/flu/
... and looks like the wayback machine got there too late (Page Not Found).
No longer seems findable on/under flu.gov or cdc.gov.
Closest "official" bit of it I find is just a promo clip:
https://youtu.be/8NRTC1BlHg0

Seems it was published between 2008 and 2010 (found no dates on it
newer than 2008, and earliest I found about it being published/released
is 2010) ... US government publication, so no copyright or copyright date
on the work itself.

In semi-brief, from my lossy compression wetware storage,
I seem to recall they were able to find better and more complete
fragments from remains in/under/around permafrost.  And from that
were eventually able to put together enough to sequence the virus.
But nothing infectious - and wouldn't have been infectious all that
long after buried/deceaesed.  But better fragment samples as other bits
were from preserved tissue and blood samples and the like - only much
smaller remnants of virus left there (think of like a 90+ year old speck
of tissue smear on a microscope slide "preserved" at room temperature all
those years).