[conspire] Social netiquette

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri Apr 24 14:27:49 PDT 2020

I know that I have occasionally hit send too quickly.
We are all (mostly) a little stir-crazy with the lockdown.  It also gives us more time to prepare what we send.  Here are my suggestions:
1.  If some email gets you excited, take time to see if there are other messages on the same thread. Maybe the point you want to make has already been addressed.2.  When you plan to write more than a few sentences, use a different editor, even vi, if you are of that persuasion.  Most editors have better spill and grammer checkers than most email programs.3.  If there are several things in your head, the editor can easily handle multiple documents.  Not so any email I am familiar with.  The editor can save your half-baked thoughts while you look at other emails.
4.  Using an offline editor will also force you to take an extra step to copy the material into the mail.   Before doing that, proof read.  Could I state it better or more clearly?  Maybe even take a break from the computer.  The editor will keep your draft until latter.  For me personally, if I have something lengthy to say, I it works better to think it over in my head until can just type the whole thing in one sitting.  Or maybe you decide that the subject has been discussed so that everyone has lost interest.