[conspire] Password permutations

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:21:44 PDT 2020

I had been wondering the same thing but hadnt gotten around to asking yet.

An interesting question would be how many passwords are broken by
iteration, and how many from password breaches?
Even a dictionary attack would take a while if the account times out after
every 5 tries.

I know there are some stats out there on the number of breaches.
I dont know if there are stats on iterative attacks.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:15 PM paulz at ieee.org <paulz at ieee.org> wrote:

> Now a different question.
>
> Who can actually try a large number of logins?    In my experience just
> trying to get into my own account, it takes a second to get a response that
> I messed up.  That limits my attempts to not very many in an hour.  Also,
> If I mess up more than 4 or 6 times in a row, I get locked out and have to
> phone the bank for assistance.
>
> Me thinks there is a different sort of security hole that would allow an
> unlimited number of tries in a short time.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."