[conspire] Password permutations (was: Correction)

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu Apr 16 01:56:41 PDT 2020

On 15Apr2020 06:51pm (-0700), Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> However, my dad, who could do calc in his sleep (physicist), recommended I skip Trig as it was a waste of time. I believed him. Now, for him that was probably true, but for me, it was not true.

I had a similar problem, where I took calculus twice but *neither* integrated trig properly.  I ended up near the end of my second attempt with a burning question in my head, so I finally took it to EFNet #math and asked there.

The first answer came from someone who did not assume any knowledge on my part, and it began: "First, consider the unit circle, and a right triangle with one vertex at the center..."

	https://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m93533eyFU1qlfzwoo1_500.gif

I aced the exams after that, because after an evening of flipping through my textbook I found that there WAS a little chapter on the role of trigonometry in calculus.  I had taken trig under the name "pre-calculus" but even that class had left the actual POINT behind so early that we just performed recipe application by rote on abstract symbols.  I had to re-learn a full year of maths in a single weekend, but it happened at just the right moment to actually stick.