[conspire] Senior-year high school photos

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 15 15:10:31 PDT 2020

https://abcnews.go.com/US/warning-viral-trend-share-senior-photo/story?id=70164145

Better Business Bureau recently issued a warning to anyone who has
considered posting their high school senior-year photos on Facebook --
apparently a recent social-media fad:

   'Watch out, scammers or hackers who surf through social media sites
   will see these #ClassOf2020 posts, and will now have the name of your
   high school and graduation year, which are common online security
   questions.  All it takes is an internet [sic] search to reveal more
   information about you, such as family members, your real name,
   birthdate or even where you live.'

And this is a risk because _everyone_ gives real-life and consistent
information on security questions, right?  Uhhhh....

I'd have to check my 'answer I gave per-site to security questions'
data in my security-tokens database.  I'll bet one site has the name of
my high school as Hogwarts Academy, and the graduating year as 1789.

Point is, the more you seed fairly random data in your security
information, the less usable it is if it' ever misappropriated.  Which
of course requires keeping track of what answers you give where.

   Past viral trends, such as the 10-year challenge and other personal
   list posts have included personal details like cars people owned,
   favorite athletes and TV shows.

   "What most people forget is that some of these 'favorite things' are
   commonly used passwords or security questions," the BBB explained. "If
   your social media privacy settings aren’t high, you could be giving
   valuable information away for anyone to use."

My childhood pet was of course Dino the velociraptor, and my first car
was a Bugatti Veyron.  Favourite athlete:  Pheidippides.
(The Veyron nicely set off my jet-black hair and violet eyes.)

Subject to per-site change, of course, including the pupil colour.
(Changing which, really hurts.)