[conspire] Alphabet stuff

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:38:38 PDT 2020

Having grown up in a neighborhoos with representative families of all the
"Scandahoovian" tribes:

What many dont know is that the English alphabet used to be even smaller.
(Perhaps I should call it Roman alphabet)

When you look at a typecase, the Caps are always in alphabetical ("moxxon")
order.
Depending whether it is a California & variant case or one of the other
systems, the lowers
might or might not be in Moxxon order.

Ill go into the California jobcase and its variants if asked to do so.  It
revolutionized typesetting.

You will notice that "J" & "U" come after "Z".  WTF?
J was added after cases started to be standardized and they didnt want to
re engineer all the typecases.
When they added U even later, same,

Ever notice things like "PVBLIC LIBRARY?"
Over the centuries, W U & V sounds got shuffled.
Adding the letter U was part of that shuffle.
Ever notice how folks from India sometimes transpose V & W ?

So where did that whole "Hear Ye, hear ye!" come from?

A symbol called "thorn" was added several centuries back, originally for
the sound "th".
With time it evolved into the Y and its sound.
So, originally, "Hear ye" was pronounced "Hear thee".

C & K originally had much different sounds in english.

When you get into eastern Europe, you will find names like Milosovic and
Milosovik.
Both names mean "Son of Milo" but are pronounced differently.
Milosovik would be pronounced the way it is spelled.
In that region, the trailing C should have a tick above it, and should be
pronounced "ch"
(Milosovich).

Im really glossing over a lot of stuff in the name of brevity, sorry bout
that.

When I do living history, I show off the California Jobcase.
"The case is divided into 3 bays, the last one with the caps.
Caps are in alphabetical order or 'Moxxon" with J & U after Z"
At this point, the eyes open to the size of salad plates.

Then, later on, I cover "Uppercase vs Lowercase" and the origin of "All
tied up".

Having lost letters that covered "dipthdongs" (ch, sh th, etc) English is a
rather inefficient
language.
Then again, English was a "gutter" language that proper people didnt speak.
Think 1000 WORSE than Ebonics.

I cringe at Rennfaire when they coach us on a Victorian accent.
Im not sure Elizabeth eben spoke English.
Languages spoken in court would have been Latin or French.
Speaking English in court probably would have gotten you bodily thrown out
violently.

Oh, bother, I have REALLY strayed from the thread.

--

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker