[conspire] Fade and open Neutrals

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 14 23:46:51 PDT 2020

Texx, tomorrow I'll be removing the 'moderated' flag from your Conspire
subscription as promised (concluding the 'two weeks of adult
supervision').  Separately from that, I just wanted to call your
attention to aspects of your postings that make them a bit painful to
read.  Here's a verbatim quotation:

Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

> I dont know if the term was used in the 30s with the first successful UHF
> systems came online.

> One of the reasons that ham radio has so much microwave spectrum, is that
> the experts in
> the early 1930s knew for a fact that radio frequencies above 30mhz were
> useless.
> By the late 30s, the hams had proven them wrong.  They even made a liar out
> of Davy Sarnoff!
>
> I dont know when the military started using the term.
> I believe the military was the first to use the term "snow fade", however.
>
> Later on, the satellite tv trade picked up the term.

1.  Slovenly punctuation, e.g., 'dont' and 'tv'.  You know where your
apostrophe and shift keys are.  It's in your interest to remember to
use them, because otherwise the impression you give is that you
don't care whether you are just spewing poorly composed crud in
public.

2.  Weird line lengths with hard returns.  I am guessing that you
are using a proportionally spaced font, yet are inserting hard
returns, resulting in jagged non-paragraphs.  Probably this is in
part yet another bad default of the GMail WebUI composer.

You should fix that.  Good netiquette suggests a line length of 72
characters in e-mail, which in turn suggests using a fixed-width
(monospaced) font.

3.  Quoted-printable content, in which your entire posting is stated twice,
redundantly, once in (bad) ASCII and once in HTML.  If like me you hew to
Postel's Prescription (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle),
this is best achieved by posting in plain ASCII.

And yes, doubtless you are spewing quoted-printable crud because this,
too, is a default of the GMail WebUI composer.  You should fix that.

Since you're evidently determined to use GMail, maybe the best way for
you to fix problems #2 & 3 is to use a _real_ MUA instead of GMail WebUI
composer, and GMail's IMAP interface.  E.g.:
https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/wikis/UseCases/Gmail

Problem #1 (slovenly punctuation and capitalisation) requires caring to
not look like a slob.