[conspire] Password permutations (was: Correction)

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Tue Apr 14 22:40:55 PDT 2020

 I recall that I got it wrong in a previous post and was corrected, but let's work out the answer.
Suppose the password can be selected from 26 upper case letters, 26 lower case letters, 10 digits and 8 punctuation marks for a total of 70.

If the password is 1 character there are 70 possibilities.
If the password is 2 characters there are 70 * 70 = 70 ^2 possibilities.
If the password is N characters, there are 70^N possibilities.