[conspire] Auto Immune

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 14 21:04:28 PDT 2020

Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

> I only know a little about auto immune issues, but I believe we have at
> least one person on this list dealing with it.
>
> Are cytokines part of the problem in auto immune disease (Lupus, Rheumatoid
> Arthritus etc) ?

Your question is a bit vague.  Are you briefed about what a cytokine is?
If so, then you should be aware that cytokines are always involved in
immune responses, seeing that they are peptide chains secreted by immune
and some other cells to serve as signal carriers to regulate/adjust
immune response.

So, in many, perhaps all, of the interactions between other cells and
the immune system, and among components of the immune system, cytokines
are intimately involved -- because modulatory signaling necessarily occurs
-- and occurs both during desirable immune response to pathogens and
undesirable immune response to self (and collateral damage to self from
immune response)..

On the specific direction you were kinda-sorta heading with your
question, here, have a brief drink from the firehose of relevant
literature:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6453/
https://www.nature.com/articles/nri702
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111027172826.htm